You can now get MitID with a foreign passport/international ID card
It is now possible to get MitID with a foreign passport or international ID card. A new function in the MitID app makes it possible to create a MitID directly in the app with a foreign passport or ID card.
In June 2022, there was a new function in the MitID app that made it possible to get MitID directly in the MitID app if you had a valid Danish, Greenlandic or Faroese passport. Now an update to the function is introduced so that it is also possible to use foreign passports or ID cards with a chip.
Consequently, it is easier to get a MitID if you live abroad, need a MitID, but do not have a valid Danish passport.
In order to get MitID, you need to confirm your identity. Consequently, some NemID users couldn’t get MitID before doing this – which could be done e.g. in the NemID code app or via the MitID app with a valid Danish, Greenlandic or Faroese passport or by physically appearing at a Citizen Service Centre. With the new function you can also confirm your identity via the MitID app with a passport or ID card from other countries. It simply requires that the passport or ID card is equipped with a chip.
All you will need is a valid passport/ID card and access to a phone that can scan the chip: an iPhone 7 or above or a newer Android phone.
See the requirements to passport/ID card on MitID.dk: Passport requirements
How to get MitID via the MitID app:
- Download the MitID app from App Store or Google Play.
- Open the MitID app – and press the menu in the top left corner. Press “Get MitID using passport”.
- Scan the code and read the chip in your passport/international ID card.
- Scan your face to compare it to the photo in your passport/ID card.
- The MitID app now generates a so-called 3D FaceScan, and if the result of this comparison meets the requirements, the app confirms your identity. Then you can get MitID directly in the app.
- Then you are ready to use MitID. Once you have created your MitID, you can use MitID as an app on alle iPhones from iPhone 5s and newer versions and most Android phones. If you do not want to use MitID as an app, you can order and activate a MitID code display or MitID audio code reader.
Read more about getting MitID with a foreign passport/international ID card on MitID.dk
If you already have the MitID app, make sure to update it to use the new function. If you need help, then contact the MitID support or your bank.